Here are some Frequently Asked Questions by our clients:
- How long has your company been in business?
We are one of the oldest and largest home inspection companies in Canada. We have been in business since 1978.
- How many inspectors do you have?
We currently have 16 inspectors including both engineers and professional inspectors.
- What are your inspectors’ qualifications?
Our engineers and home inspection professionals are highly trained and Carson Dunlop-certified to provide our customers with outstanding service and quality advice. Carson Dunlop offers the best training in the industry by combining in-class and hands-on technical training. We use the training program we created, which is also delivered at colleges and universities throughout the country. All members of the team periodically receive refresher training to continue to hone their skills and keep up to date on industry standards. Their experience and commitment to customer satisfaction is unparalleled in the industry. They simplify the complex world of house construction and systems, and are happy to answer any questions about your home for as long as you own it.
- What do you look at?
We inspect the major systems of the house. These include the Roof, Exterior, Structure, Electrical, Heating, Cooling, Plumbing, Insulation and Interior. Our goal is to identify the significant issues that would affect a typical purchaser’s buying decision.
- If it’s really bad, will you tell us not to buy the house?
Our goal is to report fairly on the condition of the house identifying potential repairs and expenses. We provide clients with the information to help them make an informed decision. Ultimately, the buying decision is made by you.
- Can I follow along?
Most certainly. Clients tell us this is one of the most helpful parts of our Home Inspection. You get the benefit of a one-on-one education session with a highly-trained consultant who will answer your questions and provide tips for keeping your home comfortable, safe and operating efficiently.
- How much does an inspection cost?
Our competitive fees start at less than $450, and are based on the size, age and location of the home. We also have different levels of service, and different price points for inspectors from our professional group and our engineering group.
- What do I get for the fee?
- The collective knowledge and experience acquired since 1978.
- Competent and helpful customer service staff
- Quick response time with 15 full-time inspectors on staff.
- Skilled inspectors with good communication skills.
- A private, customized course in homeownership during the inspection.
- A full-colour report delivered the same day as the inspection, including photos, illustrations and reference material all in a clear, easy-to-read format to help you make an informed decision.
- Our help answering your questions for as long as you own the home.
- How long does an inspection take?
A typical home inspection takes 2 hours plus or minus 30 minutes. Older, larger or more complex homes take longer.
- What kind of report do you provide?
HORIZON is a comprehensive web-based reporting system that produces an exceptional, easy-to-read report. This system was created by Carson Dunlop and is used by home inspectors across North America. The report includes not only a description of the home but documents our observations and recommendations, incuding cost estimates for repairs, where appropriate. The report includes colour illustrations and photographs, as well as links to relevant reference materials. You also receive a copy of Carson Dunlop’s renowned Home Reference Book, our 500 page text with 550 colour illustrations. We quite literally, wrote the book on home inspection!
- What areas do your home inspectors cover?
Carson Dunlop has qualified home inspection professionals servicing many parts of Ontario. View the coverage map. We have inspectors that cover the following areas:
- Halton Hills
- Richmond Hill
If you’re not sure if your area is covered, please feel free to give one of our friendly Customer Service representatives a call at 416-964-9415 (800-268-7070) and we’ll be happy to provide you with more detailed coverage area information.